Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Observing Changes in Matter

Currently, in our Science class we have been studying Physical and Chemical properties. Furthermore, we did 1 very interesting lab to go along with the tasks and other labs we have been doing. The lab was called Observing Changes in Matter . For this lab we made physical and chemical changes to the sugar cubes that were given to us. First we had to observe the sugar cubes by taste, hardness, texture, color shape, and size. Then, we had to take two of the sugar cubes and crush them in the mortar and pestle until they were fine white powder. Lastly, we took a bit if the sugar and examined the particles of the sugar under the microscope. After that we drew a diagram of what the crushed sugar cubes looked like under the microscope, in our notebooks. Having completed part A of our lab we answered the questions that went along with part A on our lab paper. When we started part B of our lab, we first, put the last two sugar cubes in a test tube and attached the tongs to the test tube. Also, after that we held the test tube over the Bunsen Burner in order to burn the sugar cubes. Next, our teacher broke the test tube for us in order to make it easier for us to observe the new substance that formed inside the test tube. Lastly, we took a sample of the new substance, from the broken test tube, and observed it very carefully, like we did for crushed sugar. In doing this lab I had a fun time and I learned more doing it physically than reading on it in the book.
There were numerous facts that I learned during this lab. One interesting fact that I learned is that after the sugar was thoroughly burned, there was only pure carbon present in the test tube. Another fascinating fact that I learned from the lab was that the molecular make up of the substance changes completely when it is changed chemically. I also found out that when we burned the sugar, it turned black and brown and when looked at it that way, you couldn't even tell whether what substance was. The website that I researched had many interesting facts. For example, when a substance is chemically changed, energy is absorbed or released, but no loss in molecular weight occurs. Lastly, another fact that I learned from my research is that when the substance is chemically changed the new substance differs from the original substance in the energy it contains.
In my opinion, this lab was a fantastic way to learn about Physical and Chemical changes and properties. It was a pleasure to do this lab with the people at my lab table. I enjoyed watching the reaction of the sugar cubes when they were being burned by the Bunsen Burner. Also, it was actually frightening to see the reaction of the new substance in the test tube after we burned all the sugar, too. It was cool how the sugar turned in a new substance when we didn't put anything in the test tube besides the sugar cubes. The lab was very entertaining and a great way to learn about physical and chemical changes through a hands-on activity.


















http://205.201.216.162/upload/image/CAMPFIRE.jpg
http://www.learner.org/courses/essential/physicalsci/images/s4.ice_melt2.jpg
http://www.reference.com/browse/chemical

1 comment:

  1. Love your article! I love the way how it reviews on what we did in the lab!!! Neat! :)

    ReplyDelete